General Overview and Schedule 66th Sons of Norway District 3 Lodge Meeting and Convention
June 5-8, 2020, Jacksonville, FL
Honoring our Past; Celebrating our Future
Double Tree by Hilton Jacksonville Riverfront, the convention hotel
The Gateway to Florida Lodge is excited to welcome you to Jacksonville, FL in just a few short months for the District 3 Lodge Meeting and Convention in the 125th year of Sons of Norway. As your lodge elects delegates, this overview will provide a tentative schedule and other information to help with trip and other planning. As always, if anyone has questions, reach out to Marci Larson who serves as the District 3 Convention Advisor. Her email is email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Her telephone numbers are 904-306-7513 and cell is 904-307-2777.
The Double Tree by Hilton on the St. Johns River will be your home away from home. The convention rate applies from June 1- 11 so come early or stay late. There is much to do in Jacksonville and North Florida. We will provide information about “other attractions” as we move closer to the convention.
Room rates are standard, $124; riverfront, $144 and Jr. Suite $164 and the current tax is 13 percent. If you are a Hilton Honors member, you can achieve points. Do NOT call the hotel directly to reserve your space. You may reserve 24 hours using this toll-free number: 1-800-222-8733. The group code is SON. You may also reserve using the internet: http://group.doubletree.com/SonsofNorway. The deadline to register is May 20.
The hotel does not have a shuttle, so those flying into the Jacksonville Airport will have to use Super Shuttle or another car service. The airport is 15 miles from the hotel and travel time varies depending on traffic. Amtrak service is also available; the station is approximately 20 miles from the hotel.
The convention materials with more detailed information include both delegate and non-delegate registration forms; how to donate to the Charitable Trust Viking Auction; invitation to a special lodge event Sat. evening surrounding the Viking Auction; convention journal ad information; and the Golf Outing. Additional information will be forthcoming about being a convention booster and for a Foundation fundraiser. You will receive information from the District 3 Cultural Director Andy Mathisen about the Folk Art Exhibition and Competition.
SON District 3 Business Meeting & Convention
Wednesday, June 3
- Those playing golf in the Thursday Golf Outing arrive
- Some board members may arrive
Thursday, June 4
- Golf Outing (individual registration & cost on form)
- District Board arrives (President Kathy to communicate)
- Committees may arrive (contingent on chair’s direction)
- Registration 1 – 6 p.m.
- Vendors Set up
Friday, June 5
- Registration 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Delegates arrive
- District Board meets; President Kathy to schedule
- Vendors Open
- Member Training (1 -2 p.m.)
- New Delegates meet 4 p.m.
- Memorial Service, 5 p.m., hotel
- President’s Welcome Reception/River City Brewing Company 5 minute walk, 6:30 – 10 p.m.(Transportation provided for anyone with mobility issues)
Saturday, June 6
- Registration for latecomers 7:30 – noon
- Vendors Open
- Business session, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., hotel
- Coffee Breaks with Scandinavian Bites – about 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Lunch in Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse approximately noon – 1 p.m., hotel
- Gateway to Florida Lodge Event: Rowing on the River and Charitable Trust Viking Auction, 6- 10p.m. St. Johns River and hotel (separate flyer with details.)
Sunday, June 7
- Business session continues 8 a.m. – noon (closing time depends on finalizing district business.)
- Coffee Break with Scandinavian Bites – about 10 a.m.
- Lunch – on your own. Try the hotel restaurant or several other dining options nearby.
- District Board Installation 5 p.m., hotel
- Reception with cash bar, 6:30 p.m., hotel
- Grand Banquet, 7:15 p.m., hotel
Monday, June 8
- 2020-22 Board Meeting, incoming president to schedule
- Delegates depart
- Convention concluded